Saturday, December 7, 2013

m641 Semester in Review:

Taking a geometry course for the the first time in a decade or so, I was nervously optimistic. I always know the math department does an excellent job of making the work in the classroom relevant to our own classrooms as well as enhance us as mathematicians. This semester did not disappoint.

I do not teach a whole ton of geometry to my 7th graders but the unit I do teach in now ten times better than it was before. I have a "toolbox" full of resources I am able to use to enhance and engage my students. The skill I feel will support my teaching the best is Geogebbra. I had little to no experience with the program four months ago, but today I am using in my classroom on a regular bases. I am confident in the foundation skills it uses and am comfortable enough to use it with the students. The readings in the class where relevant to both the classroom and mathematician side. As many of the choices in the class where between a "mathy" article and a classroom article.

The mathematician side of me was strengthened in many ways as well. I was in awe of the many higher level math problems completed in the course. They where presented in a way that was enjoyable and engaging. My eyes were opened to many real world math questions I would not have had an opportunity to have think about without this course. I can not give enough praise for the enjoyment I had coming to this class. I was truly good to escape the rush of daily live and do something I enjoy.

It saddens me the course will no longer be taught at GVSU. It was more productive than any seminar I have every attended. I hope and pray the cyclical motion of education will one day find value in promoting higher learning for its teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment