Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Making Geometry Simpler: "Volume of a Pyramid"

Reflecting on the reading for this week there are some good ideas Masha Albrecht talks about that I can apply to my own class. I am always looking for ideas on Low-Tech "hands on" activities where students can dive into their work.

I always have a hard time with students making the transition with v = lwh in a rectangular prism to using v = Bh. I like using v = Bh because it makes the understanding and application of cylinders and triangular prisms that much easier. We can use the same formula v = Bh for all three 3-D figures instead of switching between independent formulas. Students always have a hard time making that transition. The worksheet that is used and the technique the writer uses makes this transition very fluidly, and in a way middle school students can handle.

I also like how she uses the blocks to understand where the formula for pyramids come from. I believe I can use this for my students as well. We can create the "cube pyramid" and work our way to getting to the 1/3 of the prism formula. Using the technology piece will come in handy but I am having my doubts on how 7th graders of all learning levels will be able to comprehend the formula by Misha uses. I would like them to discover the patter for finding the volume on their own but squaring the side length and adding it to the last pyramid's volume seems to be a little stretch for my students. I will continue looking into finding a more attainable method for 7th graders.

I am excited to use this article in my class. It is the fourth or fifth different resource I will be able to use in the upcoming geometry unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment